Features & Instructions
Chest Tube Placement Feature.
Locate the chest tube placement feature on the left side , just behind the shoulder of Jerry K-9 Throe. This feature simulates the ability to place a chest tube in a K-9. The latex patch represents the skin. Both the latex patch and the red chest tube bag are disposable and will fail over time.
Plural Chest Feature. Locate the blue bag on the right side, just behind the shoulder of Jerry K-9 Thoracentesis. This feature is to simulate trauma to the thoracic cavity. You will be able to aspirate both fluid and air from Jerry's right side. Simply palpate the ribs to locate the correct position for insertion of needle.
Cleaning & Maintenance
Jerry K-9 Thora is carefully hand made and each unit is inspected before shipment. Your Jerry K-9 Thora has arrived in a condition ready for use. All Rescue Critters! products are hand crafted and will vary slightly in appearance.
Brush the fur gently before each use to avoid matting. Be aware that a certain amount of shedding will occur. This is normal. Brush just enough to work out any matted areas on the fur. Also, brush away any fur that is caught in the Velcro. Fur in the Velcro will prevent it from securing properly. When closing Velcro, join all ends together until no Velcro is showing. Firmly press on the seam to secure closure.
Since many hands will be handling Jerry K-9 Thora on a regular basis it is recommended that you periodically check for stains. For spot cleaning stains on the fur, simply lather the stained area with a small amount of soft soap or detergent and water. Using a sponge or cloth gently rub out the stain and rinse with cold water (be sure to completely rinse out soap). Brush gently while the fur is still wet and allow to air dry completely.
Chest bag replacement
To change the chest bags:
1) Lift open the flap of fur on the left side of the chest.
2) Underneath the ribs, remove the red bag from the left side of the chest.
3) Open by unscrewing the top and fill approximately full with water.
4) Replace bag and close chest.
5) Remember that both the red and blue chest bags are disposable. They will eventually fail over time and need to be replaced.
Thoracic Cavity Aspiration Feature
Simply open the flap on the right hand side of "Jerry" and remove the blue bag to refill with water. The blue bag is good for approximately 75 to 100 needle sticks and is disposable. Additional bags can be purchased through Rescue Critters or your local drugstore or pharmacy.
The following are some points to keep in mind:
1) "Jerry K-9 Thora" is a Veterinarian training mannikin and should never be used as a toy or by children for the purposes of play.
2) When carrying "Jerry K-9 Thora" use the carrying case provided. "Jerry K-9 Thora" should be inserted in the carrying case on his side with the paws facing the handles. If not using the proper case, cradle "Jerry" in your arms as you would a real dog.
3) Never handle the unit by the mouth, head, tail or limbs. This will result in damage to the unit.
Your "Jerry K-9 Thora" mannikin should give you many years of service. In the event your unit fails as a result of workmanship, your unit comes with a 6 month limited warranty. Spare parts are available from Rescue Critters. If you have any questions or require additional parts or repairs call Rescue Critters at 818-780-7860.